Friday, March 20, 2015

OCTOBER 7, 2013 12:24PM

Day 7: A Horror Movie You Think No One Has Seen

Rate: 1 Flag

  30 Day Horror Movie Challenge

Day 7: Made for TV


This was a fun challenge!   I had to sift through my addled memory to pick one, and nearly each time I came to some antenna-TV-only broadcast of my youth.  You see, I didn't have cable in the 1980s, so a horror kid had to be alert and pore the TV guide to make sure he caught "movies" such as my pick for this category, The Last Bride of Salem.
 What do I recall about this "movie?"   The production value was soap-operatic, or like a live play, almost like Dark Shadows.  There was very little actual action or horror.  I simply remember a group of people, perhaps a local Salem Massachusetts family, wringing their hands about 'WITCHES!  THEY WERE ACTUALLY WITCHES IN SALEM!'  And the judges were actually the witches, not the hanged witches.  In retrospect the creep and ick factor came in with plot about the 'last bride' which is the little girl in the family being destined to be the bride of Satan or something.  I remember the little girl being approached by a creepy stranger with a Puritan haircut.
I have since learned that it was broadcast as part of a program called ABC Afternoon Playhouse, and it was noted for John Candy's role as an extra.

last b 2

Runners-up in this category:

Covenant, a made- for-TV thing about a powerful black magic dynasty starring Jane Badler, fresh off her awesome villainous role on V.



I, Desire (also known as Desire the Vampire) which pits David Naughton (of American Werewolf in London Fame) against a kittenish, big haired 80s vampire who makes jaguar sounds when she feeds.
 If anyone reading this has seen any of these - let's talk about it!
Enter the amount, and click "Tip" to submit!

Comments

I am sitting here mesmerized by that still of the late, great John Candy, just like one gazes upon a car accident. I couldn't help but thinking that he looks just like someone else in it ... then it came to me: Leslie West from Mountain, back in the day (http://www.last.fm/music/Leslie+West/+images/52273789). And that's Shelley Duvall to his right, correct?
Hahaha! Shelley Duvall...that was a good one, VA
I think I saw the last two and forgot them on purpose. Now its like one of those blasted songs from the 80's that gets stuck in your head... -er, hair. (Thanks a lot!)
KC, you saw The Covenant? Points to you! I thought obscure made-for-TV 70's/80's horror was dying from public memory!

No comments:

Post a Comment