Friday, March 20, 2015

OCTOBER 6, 2013 1:39PM

Day 6: Favorite Vampire Movie

Rate: 3 Flag

SLimage


 30 Day Horror Movie Challenge

 Oct. 6:  When I Look Out My Window...


I've taken in a LOT of vampire cinema, as you can imagine.  I've pretty much covered my favorite vampire films here and here.  Yet there is the film (actually TV miniseries) which is one of the few that offers a genuinely fearsome and unromantic vision of a vampire: Salem's Lot , directed by horror master Tobe Hooper and starring 70's icons David Soul and Lance Kerwin.  Stephen King's novel of the same name is well worth reading.
 imdb, please spare my lazy ass from actual work:
Vampires are invading a small New England town. It's up to a novelist and a young horror fan to save it. 
 A slow American Gothic creeper, Salem's Lot is one of those movies where you have to imagine the horror being literally right outside your window.  There is that iconic scene, where Mark Petrie, the beleaguered lonely kid played by Lance Kerwin, discovers a faint tapping outside his bedroom window.  Even the still image is frightening.

salem's lot 1

This is one story up, mind you. 
This scene is often referenced by people in my generation when they talk about things that wouldn't let them sleep at night.  View a similar scene here:

There is another scene in both the film and novel that made an impression.  Forget about being invited in or stalked in a foggy cemetary.  What if a hideous, rat faced Nosferatu simply crashed into your living room while you were having dinner with your parents, and then proceeded to kill them before your eyes?


Brrr...
In case you were wondering, I cared for neither A Return To Salem's Lot or the 2004 remake starring Rob Lowe.
Enter the amount, and click "Tip" to submit!

Comments

Good heavens: Lance freakin' Kerwin! I think I may have watched this with my cousin who was a big horror fan but don't recall many details, least of all that Mister James at 15/16 was in it. One of those 1970s "hot for a millisecond" teen sensations, now turned right wing troll. I wonder if he and Mason Reese ever hung out.

For me, I'd pick Black Sunday with Barbara Steele but am also partial to The Hunger, Andy Warhol/Paul Morrissey's Dracula, the original Dracula, Blacula, and of course, Nosferatu. I guess Eating Raoul doesn't quite fit here.
I'm not crazy about vampire movies but tell me if you recognize this one. I saw it on a hotel in-house movie in the late 80s and I never caught the title.

Vampires have settled in some isolated western town. They realize that their affliction can't co-exist with normal people so they live in a domestic exile. They've also developed a synthetic blood that provides sustenance.

But, trouble is brewing. A group of young vamps wants to return to their traditional ways and seek out real blood. It's a cultural satire and the AIDS analogy is there though never explicitly spelled out.
VA: Lance Kerwin is his own blog post altogether. That kid was ubiquitous in 70s TV. I did hear he became evangelical, but still gets into drug trouble. Your vamp films are of course awesome, although I didn't even know Black Sunday was a vampire movie! Must check out.

Abra: I think you're thinking of Sundown: The Vampire in Retreat, which is a hell of a lot of fun! Let me know if it is. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098412/?ref_=sr_1

No comments:

Post a Comment