Wednesday, March 18, 2015

OCTOBER 10, 2012 8:17AM

J is for ... (31 Days of Halloween, Oct. 10)

Rate: 3 Flag


Jennifer Rubin!


The letter J will be dedicated to one of my favorite scream queens,  Jennifer Rubin.
The picture above embodies why Ms. Rubin has forever stood out in classic 1980's horror.
 "In my dreams, I'm beautiful AND bad!"
That's her line from Nightmare on Elm Street III: Dream Warriors, one of the more interesting entries in that franchise, where  a whole bunch of kids hospitalized in an asylum are empowered to combat their tormentor by transforming into "Dream Warriors"  - as though they literally become their characters in a game of Dungeons & Dragons.  Perhaps an attempt to address the D&D moral panic?
 Regardless, Ms. Rubin's character, Taryn, has an ideal of beauty that's thoroughly punk rock and ready to kick ass!  It is a shame that she was not our Final Girl in that film (it's been a while since I've seen it - that honor went to either the characters of Heather Langenkamp or Patricia Arquette, I believe).  
Punk as Taryn was, sadly the film's theme song went to cheese metal combo Dokken:



 

 Ms. Rubin was also in Bad Dreams (1988), an interesting if disjointed movie where, for the first time to my knowledge, the American cult leader as embodied by Jim Jones or Charles Manson became a supernatural horror villain.  She gave a noteworthy, charming and very appealing performance there.



Her filmography is extensive, and I'm sure many of you recognize her from other efforts (I forgot she was in The Doors), but she has always made time for the horror genre.  Salute!


Enter the amount, and click "Tip" to submit!

Comments

Nightmare is the one series that still holds its panache past the teen years... How great that it led you to bring Jennifer to our better attention!
Alas too young to recall this.
I had never heard of Jennifer Rubin until the introduction but, alas, have had the displeasure of Dorken.
KC - 2 years ago (have I really been on OS that long?) I wrote in praise of the NOES remake, but I may have changed my opinion.

Catholic Girl - be glad you're not old! Aging SUCKS!

VA - apologies for the Dokken torture - I kinda had to...

No comments:

Post a Comment