Wednesday, March 18, 2015

OCTOBER 1, 2013 9:44AM

Day 1: Your First Horror Movie

Rate: 4 Flag

 

Capture

 30 Day Horror Movie Challenge

October 1st: Waxing Nostalgic!



It couldn’t have been later than 1978 in Barcelona Spain, where, perhaps in an attempt to confront and vanquish the memory of a recently departed monster...


franco
 


...one of three national TV channels (and the only ones) in the post-Franco republic aired House of Wax (1953).  

I couldn’t bear to watch it.  

I couldn’t bear NOT to watch it.

I was in second grade, and ‘Casa de Cera’ was the talk of the schoolyard the whole day.  A group of us clamored for our moms to take us us to Barcelona’s wax museum, where we further guaranteed ourselves, and by default our poor moms, a sleepless night by subjecting our eyes to the wax Draculas and Wolfmen.  
I now own a DVD copy of House of Wax.  I can safely report that the skulking, stalky, what’s-outside your-window creepery still has the power to impress and horrify minds both young and old!  The unwaxing of the fiend is still a strong horror experience.  And the film’s eerie visuals and lush atmosphere are delightful.  
Classic, elegant and scary as always is Vincent Price as Professor Jarrod.  The film also includes Morticia Addams protagonist Carolyn Jones and - get this - Charles Bronson as Igor! 
Enter the amount, and click "Tip" to submit!

Comments

While I know of this movie, I've never seen it but have always wanted to --- would have been fun in the original 3D. I can't remember what my first horror film would have been, but I probably would have seen it on Sir Graves Ghastly from Detroit, who I watched all the time as a kid (http://www.sirgravesghastly.com/).

Franco would have been horror enough ....
Gotta love the local horror hosts. They really introduced me to a whole new culture
Hi Chiller Pop! I love the 31 days of Halloween! I have such an overactive imagination that I smartly never subjected myself to horror movies. My first was Night of the Living Dead, which was so bad I thought Hey I can handle this (21 y/o). So I trief Halloween. WRONG!!
By the way it was tried Halloween. Stupid phone. The Spiral Staircase is about as horror-y as I get. Stupid phone wouldn't let me finish the first time.
The earliest one I can remember was a Brit B&W called The Screaming Skull. Very very scary for a kid. The only one that ever gave me nightmares though was The Exorcist.
Muse, Halloween was probably my next major horror film, apart from a whole bunch of Hammer horror I consumed as a kid. NotLD is also a tough first film for a kid! Abra: that was the only one that's ever burned itself into my nervous system. Screaming Skull sounds fun though!
As far as I can remember, The Screaming Skull was my first one too.

No comments:

Post a Comment