Friday, March 20, 2015

OCTOBER 27, 2013 2:44PM

Day 21: Favorite Horror Franchise

Rate: 3 Flag

pvorhees 1

30 Day Horror Movie Challenge

Day 21: Go Camping!

 
Favorite horror franchise? My gut tells me it's the Paranormal Activity series.  Yes it's getting old, but its mix of spectral demonism, old school satanic panic and use of unknown actors makes it stand out.  In January, a Latino-based spinoff is coming to theaters, titled The Marked Ones.  I'll be very curious to see how it treats the Latin-Afrodiaspora religious aspect. It will be a future blogspot, because there's another film of this vein worth looking at.
Below is one of my favorite moments from the first Paranormal Activity.  It's always good to have a normal looking, non-gypsy woman as your psychic.   And this guy knows what's up.  He's just a dick.

That said, I've come to the conclusion today that like Coke or Budweiser, nothing could be more all-American in its comforting traditionalism than the Friday the 13th franchise. 96% of it's chapters suck, but they're still a good time if you embrace it in the right mindset.
 Of note is my favorite entry in the series, Friday the 13th Part VII: The New Blood.  It's essentially "Jason v. Carrie" as our hockey masked man of the hour battles it out with telekinetic Tina.  Our Final Girl in this one packs quite a punch, and her showdown with Jason is spectacular. 
Joss Whedon says that Buffy was born out of his need to give the Final Girl the power to fight back.  Well, Tina was a forerunner, wasn't she?


pvoorhees2
 

Now then, I have no scientific proof of this - it's simply a gut feeling I have from talking to gay horror fans.  But it strikes me that like Cher, Joan Crawford or Madonna, Pamela Voorhees becoming a major gay icon diva.  Discuss.  


Enter the amount, and click "Tip" to submit!

Comments

I hear tell there is a new horror flick out , an all out teen murder sex
kinda thing
starring mz amber heard?
hm
Paranormal horror is too scary for me. I am too inclined to partially believe some of it... that's the worst of all. I like to see the monster dead at the end of it all!
James, you mean that Mandy Lane movie? Have yet to see it. Zuma, if the monster were dead at the end, the horror movie industry would be in serious financial straights!
Unless the monster wasn't REALLY dead....
Never mind Bette Davis Eyes, the actress in this photo has Princess Beatrice's. She also kind of reminds me of my Tommy Talker ventriloquist following a sex change.

No comments:

Post a Comment