Wednesday, March 18, 2015

OCTOBER 13, 2012 4:22PM

M is for ... (31 Days of Halloween, Oct. 13)

220px-Spellbinderposter

Mrs. Roper, Mrs. Travolta, the Guy from 'Wings', the Devil, and ME!


I like that title.  It sounds like a New England folktale, or something.
But we're going to go out of order.  Let's start with ME
My memory might be fractured, but I think I recall leafing through a book at the local Waldenbooks, a book written by Evangelical exorcist "occult expert" Bob Larson.  It was one of those books warning about the dangers to your kids from Satan, drugs, rock music, blablabla.  And I could have sworn in the first few paragraphs of Larson's fevered guide to raising your kids Satan-free, he extolled the virtues of 1988's Spellbinder and it's "accurate depiction of satanic activity!."
Oh, Bob.  It must have been very nice to have the solemn Christian duty to battle against Satan by watching a film where sexy Kelly Preston, MRS. TRAVOLTA,  has softcore love scenes.

In fact, I first caught this one at 1 am in the morning on Showtime.  And its look and production values are very ...Skinemax. I was 22. I didn't turn it off, and now it's part of my psychic film library.
Plot summary from imdb:
When Jeff and his friend rescue a young beautiful woman (Kelly Preston) from an apparently abusive boyfriend, the trouble starts. Jeff unknowing becomes involved with Miranda (Kelly) and the web of intrigue that follows her. Miranda is on the run from the witches coven (to which she belongs). Miranda tells Jeff of her situation, but not the entire truth. Jeff willingly helps Miranda out of her troubles, but creates his own.
Now, Jeff would be THE GUY FROM 'WINGS', Tim Daly. He's in the bathtub above.  I never watched much of Wings.  Tim Daly did just fine.
And THE DEVIL? He's behind all the mayhem in this tale of cult Satanism and 1980's L.A. yuppieism.  The yuppieism is there, and it's even more kitschy and cute 20 years later when you watch the film. 
I certainly think Beelzebub is responsible for perfect, lush, magnetically virile hairline of Jeff's lawyer buddy, studly-named Derek Clayton (Rick Rossovitch).  Much like our current Republican VP candidate, I find myself unable to look away from it....

  sb1 
sb2
Perfect hair aside, this film has an utter revelation:

Audra Lindley, best known as Three's Company's MRS. ROPER.  Audra turned in an electrifying,  chilling, disturbing performance.  You can see this here, for as long as youtube allows it. 
sb3 
Audra Lindley should have become a horror icon, and joined the pantheon of great gruesome grannies like Mrs. Castevet or Mrs. Ganush.
Enter the amount, and click "Tip" to submit!

Comments

Type your comment below:
"tale of cult Satanism and 1980's L.A. yuppieism" .... I always thought the two were one and the same.

I watched that clip with Audra Lindley and I see what you mean. She can really pull off the "unhinged with googly eyes" bit well.
That guy from "Wings" was he the dark-haired guy? The blonde dude was Steven Weber which he was simply diabolical in the the made for TV remake of "The Shinning". R
VA - they are indeed. And I'm glad you concur about Audra.

Trudge - Tim Daly, not Steve Weber - but I like Steve Weber and that makes me want to see The Shining remake.

No comments:

Post a Comment