Friday, March 20, 2015

MAY 29, 2014 5:26PM

I Know Your Monster; You Got to Know Your Monster

Rate: 1 Flag

Mothman_statue_2005
 

Heard a fantastic NPR  piece today on monsters.  You can access here.
Scott Poole, professor of history  at the College of Charleston has written about monsters and how they codify our anxieties, and he discusses it on NPR KUER Radiowest. Sure, it's nothing new (Body Snatchers was about Communism; Rosemary's Baby about pregnancy, etc.), but it's still the kind of dissection that gets my weird little mind spinning in circles. 
It's getting me to think about my own fiction.  And it could very well reflect poorly on me.
In any event, I would love to hear other OSers put TV or cinematic monsters in their own context about what's going on in the world.  I might do this for my October 2014 series of posts.
Anyone out of the Open Salon loop can reach me on Twitter, @chillerpop.

Fascinating. I'll have to check this out.
Peggy called Don a Monster at the end of last season's Mad Men: does that count?
Sure it counts, VA! Perhaps Don as a monster is about Peggy's career anxieties. But, I'm only on Season 4 of MM.

No comments:

Post a Comment