Friday, March 20, 2015

OCTOBER 22, 2013 9:59AM

Day 18: Favorite Movie Filmed in Black and White

Rate: 2 Flag

 30 Day Horror Movie Challenge

Day 18: Favorite Movie Filmed in Black and White


I'm egregiously behind and playing catch up.  Bear with me for the pithiest posts you've ever read.
 I don't quite get this category.  It's been thoroughly covered in the Favorite Classic Horror day.
Oh wait.  I'm old.  Classics can now be The Exorcist, Halloween or Scream.  Great.
 Anyways - what could be a more amazing example of black and white elegance and noir than the work of Val Lewton?  The Black Cat was a seminal horror movie, and I just had the pleasure of watching The Seventh Victim for the very first time - this is notable because there's very little films or television featuring a satanic cult that I haven't seen.  
There is also of course the amazing 1963 film The Haunting.  A landmark of psychological horror, and an expert use of suggesting, not showing.  Based on the work of American mistress of horror Shirley Jackson.  Yep, I'm afraid The Haunting takes it.
Enter the amount, and click "Tip" to submit!

Comments

So many great choices here, especially from the early classic era. I've never seen The Haunting but have read of it often, and now here is your recommendation. It's one I must see.
For sure, VA, don't miss it! I think you will love it. There was a mediocre over-CGIed remake in 1999 with Lili Taylor and Catherine Zeta Jones. As much as I love both actresses (especially Zeta-Jones's beauty), it didn't amount to much. I'm sorry I haven't been able to blog or respond much, but I plan to catch up.
I'm still a sucker for all things Hitchcock... I'm still liking The Birds best, even though The Haunting is a good, scary memory too...

No comments:

Post a Comment